University of Lynchburg
Hopwood 14A
Lynchburg, VA 24501
About Us
Study Abroad
Domestic Study Away
Contact Us
Getting Started
Create Account
Before You Apply
Important Dates & Deadlines
How to Apply
Funding Your Program
Program Options
Faculty Led Programs
Exchange Programs
Fall: May 1
January Term: September 25
Spring: October 9
Spring-Break: December 4
Summer: February 12
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:


Frequently Asked Questions

What types of programs are offered through Lynchburg? 

Students can study, intern, work, teach, research, or do service learning abroad.  Additionally, we offer domestic study away programs. These programs range in term, location, length, and price. 


Do I need a passport? 

All students who want to study abroad must have a valid passport with at least 6 months validity after the end of the study abroad program. Visit the passports tab on the left for more information. 


Who can study abroad for a semester or year?

All students are encouraged to study abroad!  No matter what your academic major, or your career goals, study abroad is relevant to all students. However, planning is key. Make sure you talk to your academic advisor to make sure you pick the best time to study abroad for a semester or academic year. The minimum eligibility requirements are:


(a) Be in good standing (academic, disciplinary, financial) 


(b) Successfully complete at least one semester of college-level coursework before participating in a program. Students also have to get their study abroad approved by their academic advisor (s) and college dean. Additionally, all students applying to study abroad for a semester must meet the eligibility requirements of the host institution. For students that have never been abroad and are hesitant, we recommend starting with a faculty-led program. 


Will my classes transfer back to Lynchburg?

Before you apply to any off-campus program you must speak with your Academic Advisor. Students participating in a semester or year-long program will be required to complete the Out of Residence Studies Permission Form with their Academic Advisor. After the form is completed and signed by the appropriate individuals. Students will need to submit that form to the registrar's office and upload a copy of the form in their Abroad Office application. 


If I study abroad will I still graduate on time?

Yes, you should but planning is key. The CGE staff and your Academic Advisor will work hard to make sure that taking part in any of the off-campus programs will not delay your graduation. With reasonable planning, any student can have a great international experience and still graduate on time.


When should I study abroad? 

This depends on the type of program! Students can participate in university sponsored faculty-led programs at anytime throughout their college education. Talk to your academic advisor about when the best time to study abroad is for your academic plan.  For semester or year-long programs, students must successfully complete at least one semester of college-level coursework before participating in a program. Students also have to get their study abroad approved by their academic advisor (s) and college dean. Additionally, all students applying to study abroad for a semester must meet the eligibility requirements of the host institution. For students that have never been abroad and are hesitant, we recommend starting with a faculty-led program. 


When should I apply? 

Students should start taking steps to study abroad 5-12 months before departure depending on the type of program. 


Can I study abroad in a country where English is not the official language?

Yes! Almost all of the approved programs selected by the CGE have English-based curriculum. Depending on the program students may be required to take at least one native language course.  


How much does Study Abroad cost?

Cost of a study abroad/away program is determined by type of program, accommodations, transportation, and cost of living in the country. Typically programs in developed countries are more expensive than programs less developed countries. 


Faculty-Led Programs: Students participating in a university sponsored short term faculty-led program are billed directly by University of Lynchburg. There are two separate costs: tuition and trip fee. The trip fee inclusions vary; however, at the minimum they include transportation, airfare, lodging, breakfast daily, program excursions, tips, international medical, emergency, and evacuation insurance. Tuition is billed separately. Students participating on the study abroad program are eligible for the Experiential Learning Grant. This gives students 50% off the cost of study abroad tuition up to 6 credit hours. This only applies to our university sponsored short term programs. 

Exchange Programs: Students participating in Lynchburg Exchange semester and year long programs are billed directly by University of Lynchburg and will pay Lynchburg fees including tuition, room and board. In some cases, students are billed a supplemental fee to cover housing and program fees at the host institution that exceed University of Lynchburg tuition and fees. Students receiving financial aid must make an appointment with Financial Aid to review their financial aid package and discuss how it may apply. 

Outside Programs: Programs that are through affiliate or non-affiliate program providers tend to range in price. Some are the same price, more expensive, or less expensive than a semester at University of Lynchburg. 


What vaccinations do I need before studying abroad? 

This depends on your destination. Some countries require certain vaccinations in order to enter the country. Some countries highly recommend vaccinations for specific country. Visit the Center for Disease Control webpage for specific requirements. It is always good to discuss this with your healthcare provider before departure. 


Can I still study abroad if I have dietary restrictions or allergies? 

Yes. Clearly note any allergies or dietary restrictions in your enrollment forms. CGE will then be aware of your needs and may make necessary accommodations. Students with severe/ life threatening allergies are required to travel with an EpiPen or equivalent. 


Can I still study abroad if I have a disability? 

Yes. Disclose your disability needs on your enrollment forms and make sure to inform CGE staff early so appropriate arrangements can be made in advance. CGE will work with the Center for Accessibility and Disability to work together to provide accommodations.  Remember that other cultures may provide disability access in a different way. You should learn about what types of accommodation are typically provided in your host country, and be flexible and open to different ways of accommodating your disability. 

Mobility International USA Mobility International USA (MIUSA) aspires to empower people with disabilities through international exchange, information, technical assistance and training, to ensure the inclusion of people with disabilities in international exchange and development programs.

National Clearing House on Disability & Exchange: This site is a comprehensive one-stop resource for people with disabilities, exchange and disability staff interested in study, work, intern, volunteer, research or teach abroad programs. It includes personal stories from study abroad participants sorted by region or by disability type.

Will I have health insurance coverage while abroad? 

Yes, university of Lynchburg provides international travel, medical, illness, and evacuation insurance. Students have the option to purchase additional travel insurance if they would like to. 


What are suitable locations for LGBTQ students? 

LGBTQ students face some special considerations when choosing a study abroad program. Laws pertaining to sexual orientation, same-sex sexual contact, and gender expression vary widely around the world, as do popular attitudes. Cultures also vary in terms of how sexual orientation and gender identities are defined and understood. Some countries are more liberal on these matters than the U.S. and some less so. Also, there will always be pockets of difference and personal idiosyncrasies.

Is it safe to study abroad? 

University of Lynchburg does not approve study abroad programs in areas of political unrest or recent natural disasters. We track the travel risk of countries frequently. Safety information is provided prior to departure and during orientation. All programs have a 24/7 on-site staff available to students in case of emergencies.

University of Lynchburg Center for Global Education